- [Don is grinning like Cheshire Cat, while Alan remains victoriously calm. They have just played a clever game of distraction to beat Charlie at a round of Chess]
- Charlie Eppes: Oh yeah, I see...you guys are ganging up on me huh? What, you did that on purpose, that little distraction thing huh? [Playing the part of the Brother/Son, betrayed] That's good.
- Alan Eppes: Oh come on...Charlie chess is not just about moving pieces you know...
- Charlie Eppes: Well you know what, this is the last game...I'm not playing it. [Now Alan is smiling as he tries to convince his younger son to be reasonable. They both seem amused. Don answers a call from work]
- Don Eppes: Alright, I'll be there in twenty minutes. [Hangs up the phone and addresses his family] Alright, guys, sorry, hate to win and run, but I gotta go.[Stands and heads to the door.]
- Charlie Eppes: Didn't you just get off work?
- Don Eppes: Yeah well now I'm back on.
- Alan Eppes: Well I guess you gotta do what you gotta do...
- Don Eppes: [Reaches the door as he puts on his jacket] Sorry. Look I'll call you guys later, maybe we can grab a bite to eat, alright?
- Alan Eppes: Right.
- Charlie Eppes: Don’t worry, I’ll take care of the old man while you’re gone.
- Don Eppes: Alright see ya guys. [Don leaves as Alan sits up in his seat.]
- Alan Eppes: Old man?
- Charlie Eppes: I use it strictly as a term of endearment, Father.
- Alan Eppes: Well you better prepare yourself, my little boy, because...this old man’s gonna kick your ass.
- Charlie Eppes: [Smirking] Oh yeah? What, are you gonna cheat again?
- Alan Eppes: No, I’m gonna get the Scrabble board. [He stands to retrieve the one game Charlie has no chance at winning.]
- Charlie Eppes: (Looks panicked) ‘Cause, uh, Scrabble’s missing a piece.
So….. it’s Pi Day and the Numb3rs tag is as dead as ever. Come on, guys. Shouldn’t this be our official Numb3rs day? We should just devote the whole day to doing nothing but watching reruns.
Happy Pi Day everyone. Celebrate with some geeky Charlie goodness.
I just love the facial expressions of any group when Charlie starts his grand mathematical explanations. And it’s very interesting to see how their expressions change once they get used to it. Watching s6e5: “Hydra” and David’s bafflement is so well done. I love David. I love Numb3rs.